2010 Southerly 57' (17.37 m) 57RS
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Broaden your horizons aboard an elegant world-cruising yacht built by expert craftsmen in England to the highest standards. Soul Kitchen, a 2010 Southerly 57RS, is a substantially built yacht with a variable draft swing keel (3’ 6” up and 10' 6" down). Designed by Ed Dubois.
Flag of Registry: United States
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: NYY00417K910
Innovative design, contemporary styling, powerful sailing performance, superior build quality, and luxurious accommodation are all hallmarks of the Southerly 57RS. The Southerly 57RS was designed by Ed Dubois and the Southerly Yachts design team to be a safe and elegant world cruising yacht that can be handled by two. It is a substantial and powerful yacht that efficiently manages rough conditions and takes full advantage of the Southerly variable draft swing keel. The Southerly 57RS delivers the flexibility of a deep draft (10’ 6”) for powerful sailing performance and precise directional stability and a shallow draft (3’ 6”) for exploring many inaccessible coastlines and inland waterways.
The yacht has twin wheels, twin rudders, a robust cast iron ground plate, a variable draft swing keel, a Seldon carbon fiber mast with rod rigging, a FurlerBoom electric mainsail furling system, two headsails with electric furling, a retractable bow sprit, and electric winches in the cockpit.
The attractive interior features high-quality teak joinery and abundant natural light. There are three cabins, two heads, a raised salon, a raised navigation station, a galley, and a breakfast nook.
Recent improvements include a new 150 HP Yanmar engine and a complete bottom job, including soda blasting the bottom, grounding plate, keel, re-caulking the grounding plate, and applying Coppercoat antifouling paint.
Expert artisans built Soul Kitchen to the highest standards at Northshore Shipyard in Itchenor, West Sussex, England.
Victory Yacht Sales is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by S&J Yachts. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
LOA: 58' 2'' (17.73 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Documented Year: 2010
Beam: 17' 1''
LWL: 51' 8''
Draft Max: 10' 6''
Draft Min: 3' 6''
Single Berths: 2
Queen Berths: 2
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Bridge Clearance: 83' 6''
Displacement: 61470 lbs
Ballast Weight: 19180 lbs
CE Certified: Yes
Designer: Ed Dubois
Builder: Northshore Yachts
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Yanmar
- Engine Model: 4LV150
- Engine Year: 2022
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 150.00
- Power KW: 111.86
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 70.00
- Hours Date: 04-04-2023
- Generator Make: Mastervolt
- Generator Model: Whisper Generator 9.5 KW Ultra
- Generator KW: 9.50
- Generator Hours: 281.00
- Generator Date Hours Recorded: 04/03/2023
Sail Magazine Excerpt
"One day you might be power-reaching across an ocean, logging double-digit speeds under a massive A-sail set on a retracting bowsprit. On another day you may be tacking effortlessly up a narrow channel, putting the helm over and watching the self-tacking jib slam across its track, enjoying the windward bite and responsive steering of a deep-drafted performance cruiser. Or you may have nosed up to a beach, the boat sitting upright on the hard sand as the tide recedes, your children playing in the shadow of the sleek hull.
If you own a Southerly 57RS all this and more is possible, which is why we had no hesitation in singling this boat out from a strong group of contenders. Designed by Ed Dubois and built in Britain by Northshore Yachts, the 57RS is the flagship of a line of strong, seaworthy, and well-crafted variable-draft sailboats. It is a bluewater-capable cruiser with a difference."
The interior of Soul Kitchen is open, light, and elegant, with attractive teak joinery and polished stainless-steel fittings. The yacht’s interior accommodations include a lovely, raised salon with large deck salon windows, a raised nav station, a spacious aft cabin with a dedicated head, a breakfast nook adjacent to the galley, a guest cabin with two bunks, a large forward cabin with a center line berth, and a forward head.
Although you are inside the yacht, your horizons are expanded with large deck salon windows allowing you to enjoy panoramic views from the raised salon that are normally only available on deck! The spacious salon features a dining table with comfortable seating to port. The dining table has two folding extension leaves, and it lowers with the push of a button so the settee can be converted into a large berth. To starboard, there are two comfortable chairs with a table in between. The salon windows are fitted with shades, and the overhead deck hatches have screens and shades.
The raised navigation area is conveniently located at the base of the companionway on the port side. You can see through the salon windows directly outside while seated in the comfortable captain’s chair. The nav area includes a desk and houses the primary electrical panel and electronics.
The galley is one of the highlights of the yacht! It is forward of the salon and a couple of steps down. It has ample storage, generous counter space, and high-end stainless steel appliances, including a Frigoboat wine cooler, a large front opening refrigerator and freezer, a four-burner stove with oven, a microwave, a Miele espresso/coffee maker and a Splendide washer/dryer.
- Frigoboat Front-loading stainless steel refrigerator with two freezer drawers
- Frigoboat 18-bottle wine cooler
- Keel-cooled refrigeration/freezer units
- Four burner stove w/oven
- Miele coffee/espresso machine built-in
- Splendide 7100XC Automatic Clothes Washer and Ventless Dryer
- SS sinks with fitted chopping board
- LPG gas & carbon monoxide detection
- Aquafilta water filter
- The water maker controls are conveniently located in the galley
Adjacent to the galley is a nook with seating, a table, and a glass cabinet. The combined galley and nook offer a second gathering area that adjoins the salon, expanding the feeling of space and encouraging conversation.
The large owner’s cabin is aft of the salon and entered from the starboard side. There is a centerline queen berth with a nightstand on either side. To port is a full-size settee with back cushions. Several windows enhance the space in the owner’s cabin to port and starboard. There are also opening ports and a large overhead hatch over the berth. There are cabinets, shelving, hanging lockers, and drawers for storage. Just forward of the settee is a vanity with a mirror and seating. Opposite the bed is a TV.
The aft head is spacious and nicely appointed with attractive joinery, Corian counters, and a large separate shower with a teak seat. A beautiful stainless steel and glass shower door separates the shower from the vanity and toilet area. The head is accessible via a door between the salon and the shower, which is convenient when removing wet foul weather gear, and a door between the aft cabin and the head.
There are two guest cabins, and a guest head forward of the galley. To starboard is a cabin with two single bunks and a seat. Each bunk has a lee cloth and a reading light. There are two drawers and a large hanging locker.
The primary forward cabin is very inviting, with plenty of natural light. It has a comfortable centerline bed and two seats. Storage is available in large drawers under the bed, outboard cabinets, and large lockers on either side of the cabin.
The forward head with a separate shower is on the port side. It is shared by both guest cabins and accessible via two doors. One door opens directly into the primary forward cabin. Corian counters, mirrored cabinet doors, and a separate shower with a stainless and glass door are just some of her features.
- 4 zone Reverse cycle air conditioning 46,000 BTU (Marinaire 9K BTU AC unit in aft cabin replaced in 2023)
- Hot air heating system with 6 outlets
- 12-volt fans
- Concertina blinds fitted in raised coach roof area
- Remote control operation of front window blinds
- Rollershade screens and blinds on all deck hatches
- Teak & Holly flooring
- LED Interior lighting
- TV mounted in salon with DVD player
- TV mounted in the aft cabin (TV connected to Furuno system)
- TV in the primary guest cabin
- Radio - Polyplanar MRD80 CD/MP3/WMA with remote heads (RD-44) at the nav, helm
- Wi-Fi amplifier antenna
- Glomex TV antenna
- Cedar lined hanging lockers w/automatic wardrobe lighting
- Tecma electric toilets
- Extractor/Fan blower fitted in heads with 2-way switch
- Watermaker - 95 liters/hr
Hull, Cockpit and Deck
The hull is characterized by a long waterline, fine entry and beam carried aft to ensure the highest degree of performance, comfort, stability and safety. The beautifully sleek stylish lines of the raised pilot house coachroof exudes sophistication and elegance, normally only seen on much larger yachts. The large fold down transom door gives access to a large stowage area which is also accessible from deck. When the door is lowered it makes a great bathing platform and provides good access for boarding.
The aft cockpit is extremely spacious, yet secure with comfortable seating and a large cockpit table for entertaining guests in style. For convenience there is a refrigerated box in the table. Covering the cockpit is dodger and a large bimini.
The twin wheels allows the helmsman to enjoy the powerful performance of the yacht, with dedicated areas for sail controls and sailing short handed. Further seating aft allows for guests to relax in comfort, while enjoying all round views.
Additional features, equipment:
- New Dodger, Bimini and Connector (2023)
- Bow and Stern Thrusters
- Lewmar Windlass V4 with deck and helm switches
- Large sail locker
- Dinghy davits
- Carbon composite rudders
- 8 Nomen folding cleats
- SS life lines with two side gates
- Large bimini with aft extension for privacy and additional shade
- Cockpit cushions with seat backs
- Large Teak cockpit table with folding leaves and SS safety railing
- Low level LED cockpit lighting
- Cockpit down lighting and light fitted underside of boom
- Cockpit speakers
- Spreader lights in underside of lower spreaders
- Double teak seats to pushpit fitted port and starboard
- Magma grill mounted on the pushpit
- Hydraulic Transom door opens to large storage garage and swim platform
- Deck shower, hot & cold fitted in lazarette for use on bathing platform
- Deck wash pump w/outlet at bow and at stern
- Canvas covers for helm stations, cockpit table
- Ocean Safety Ocean ISO 9650 8 person life raft - mounted on stern pushpit (expired in 2/2023)
- Propane storage locker on the port side
- Replaced port side rudder bearings (2023)
- Bottom and Keel maintenance (2023): Media blasted the swing keel and grounding plate, faired the grounding plate and swing keel, removed and replaced caulk/foam between the grounding plate and hull, replaced the swing keel rubber seal/flap, sanded bottom, applied barrier coat where needed, wiped and prepped bottom for copper coat, tented the bottom and applied 3 coats of copper coat in one day, allowed the paint to cure for 48 hours and sanded sanded the copper coat with 320 grit.
- Replaced zincs (2023)
- Exterior detailing and teak deck cleaning (2023)
- The Rib and Outboard shown in the photos do not convey with the vessel
Engine and Mechanical
- 150 HP Yanmar 4LV150 (installed by Deltaville Boatyard in 2022), 70 hours
- 50-hour Yanmar Engine, Transmission service (oil change, filter change, alignment, coupler service, clean turbo) (12/2022)
- Yanmar electronic throttles at both helms (installed in 2022)
- Yanmar digital panels at both helms (installed in 2022)
- Denso 12V - 130A Alternator (installed in 2022)
- Fireboy fire suppression system in the engine compartment
- Generator: Mastervolt Whisper Generator 9.5 KW Ultra (281 hours)
- Generator service (12/2022)
- Diesel fuel polishing by Marsh Marine in Charleston, SC (early 2023)
- Max-Prop 3-blade feathering prop
Southerly Variable Draft Swing Keel
The Southerly 57RS has stout twin-canted rudders, a skeg-protected prop, bow and stern thrusters, and the iconic Southerly variable draft swing keel. The robust variable draft swing keel allows deep draft performance (10’ 6” down), precise directional stability, shallow draft freedom (3’ 6” up), and the capability to dry out completely upright in tidal areas.
With the keel up, the boat can sit on the grounding plate and a centerline skeg that protects the propeller and keeps the rudders safely off the bottom. A hydraulic ram controlled by a button positions the keel anywhere from fully retracted to fully extended. If the keel hits something, it swings clear of the obstacle without damaging the ram. With 10 feet 9 inches of maximum draft, the boat sails well to within 30 degrees of the apparent wind but can still sneak in front of all the other yachts in an anchorage to anchor in 3 feet 6 inches of water.
The Southerly swing keel has been tried and tested for over 45 years by 900+ owners worldwide since it was launched in 1978. The keel is a cast iron aerofoil fin pivoted at the leading edge with a hydraulic hoist. The pivot bearing is in a substantial cast iron grounding plate. The aerofoil sections of the keel have been calculated to optimize the lift characteristics; this ensures excellent windward performance and keeps the surface area low for minimum drag in light air.
The cast iron grounding plate has several functions. It serves as fixed ballast, provides the pivot point for the keel, acts as transverse stiffening in the keel area, and protects the bottom of the boat. The pivot bosses are at the forward end of the keel slot and are an integral part of the casting. The swing keel is then fitted, resulting in a fully matched assembly. The aft end of the keel slot has stops that engage with corresponding lugs on the keel to limit downward travel. The grounding plate and swing keel assembly are bolted into a fiberglass recess, and the recess and the keel box are an integral part of the hull molding. The hull layup in this area is additionally reinforced. The swing keel is raised and lowered by a hydraulic ram connected to the trailing edge of the keel by a Spectra rope pennant. The hydraulic pump is either operated manually or electrically.
Sails and Rigging
With over 2,000 square feet of sail area (main and genoa) the Southerly 57RS has plenty of power! The Solent double-headed rig consists of an electric in-boom furling mainsail and two electric furling headsails, one at the stem and the other just aft. The self-tacking blade jib on the inner stay makes for easy singlehanded short-tacking up a channel or into an anchorage, while the 140-percent genoa on the headstay powers the boat to windward in moderate conditions. Offshore, unfurl both sails and pole out the blade jib for easy downwind miles; when the wind goes light, set an asymmetric from the retractable bow sprit.
- Selden triple spreader carbon fiber mast w/clearcote finish
- FurlerBoom electric in-boom furling system (removed, repaired and serviced in 2022 at Deltaville Boatyard)
- North Sails Marathon mainsail (repaired and serviced in 2022)
- New main halyard (2022)
- Push button controls for the main (furl and unfurl) are at the port helm
- Solent double headsail rig
- North Sails self-tacking blade jib (serviced in late-2022) with Furlex 400 E electric furling
- North Sails genoa (replaced canvas cover and serviced in 2022) with Furlex 300 E electric furling
- Push button controls for the main (furl and unfurl) are at the port helm
- Nitronic 50 rod standing rigging
- Selden Carbon fiber retractable bowsprit. Hydraulically extends w/control at Navtec system in the cockpit
- A3 Asymmetric
- A4 Asymmetric
- Snuffer & sock
- Lewmar 48 electric halyard winches port and starboard
- Lewmar 54 electric main sheet winch and jib sheet winch
- Lewmar 68 electric (2 speed) Genoa sheet winches
- All winches serviced (12/2022)
- Hydraulic boom vang and backstay w/Navtec
- Additional masthead spinnaker halyard
- Standalone manual hydraulic mast jack system to enable Carbon rig tuning, stepping, and unstepping of mast
- Mast steps
Navigation and Electronics
- Yanmar engine control panel at both helms (2022)
- Yanmar electronic throttle at both helms (2022)
- Lewmar bow and stern thruster controls at both helms
- Compass mounted at both helms
- B&G Autopilot (primary) control at starboard helm
- B&G Autopilot (secondary) control port helm
- B&G Zeus Z12 display at both helms
- B&G H5000 display on the port helm (2023)
- B&J Zeus display on the port helm (2023)
- B&G H3000 multi-function at starboard helm
- B&G H3000 at the nav
- Lewmar autopilot w/24v Mamba drive
- B&G autopilot control at the nav
- B&G H30000 sail pack (3) displays on the mast and controlled from the starboard helm
- Simrad control tied to a Neovo screen at the nav
- Raymarine multi-function vessel control panel at the nav
- SSB - Icom IC-M801E MF/HF Marine SSB Transceiver at nav
- SSB connected to digital PC & integrated w/ Weatherfax software
- Icom SP-24 speaker at nav
- VHF – Raymarine RAY218E at nav
- RayMic external handset and speaker at helm
- AIS Class A and B (reprogramed in 2023)
- B&G Radar
- Furuno Navnet 3D system (w/2 12" color multi-function displays, 24" radar digital scanner, GPS antenna, Ethernet hub, VGA output to TV in master cabin)
- Pactor modem connected to digital PC and SSB
- LED navigation lights
- B&G software update (2023)
- Can bus distribution system 24v 400 Ah
- Mastervolt shorepower 110v / 220v 3.5Kw transformer
- Mastervolt 24 / 12v dc converter
- Mastervolt energy monitor at nav
- EmpireBus electrical digital switching system with a Garmin display at the nav (repaired/replaced INOP components in 2022/2023)
- Battery Charging: Engine alternator, generator, solar and shore power
- Generator: Mastervolt Whisper Generator 9.5 KW Ultra with a control at the nav
- Solar Panels conveniently placed on the coachroof
- AGM batteries: Service 900Ah, Engine 200Ah, Generator
- Dedicated 12v battery system
- MASS Combi inverter charger unit 24/4000 120A
- Two 30 Amp shore power connections
- Additional shore supply with changeover switch
- Shore power cables
- Water Maker: HRO Systems Seafari Escape (95 liters per hour)
- Fresh water distribution system with hot/cold water in the heads and galley
- Hot and cold water transom shower located in the garage
- Deck wash pump w/outlet at bow and at stern
- Grey water pumps (one pump replaced in 2023)
- Manual bilge pump
- (3) Electric bilge pump (sail locker, port main, and starboard main)
- High water alarm
- Washer/Dryer in the galley
- Tecma electric heads
THIS IS A PRELIMINARY LISTING THAT IS STILL SUBJECT TO REVIEW. The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.